• Townsite of Old Doniphan|
The former town of Doniphan was established in the vicinity of the Lewis and Clark expedition’s campsite of July 4, 1804, which was near Independence Creek. The camp was near an uninhabited Kanza Indian village.
• Fort Luxembourg Visitor's Center and Tourist Information
You'll find maps and travel information for the entire state of Kansas. In addition, the center offers Kansas gifts, souvenirs and handcrafted items produced by Doniphan County Services and Workskills, Inc, which operates the visitor's center 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. The center is located off U.S. 36 at 203 Roseport Road, Elwood, Kansaas 66024.
• Nelson Rodgers House
This one-and-a-half story center-gable house is constructed of hand-hewn timbers. The corner posts are hand-hewn cottonwood and the windows contain some original hand made glass. Nelson Rodgers, the town's first blacksmith and postmaster, built this house out of oak, walnut, and pine, in 1856. Regional history identifies the house as the first and oldest remaining house in Troy. The house was sold to Sidney Tennant, a prominent lawyer. Abraham Lincoln came to Troy in December 1859. Local legend states he walked down the street to visit his acquaintance, Sidney Tennant. Located at 138 E. Walnut, Troy, Kansas 66087.
• Highland Community College
When the town of Highland was established in 1857, one of the first objectives was to establish a site for a university. Work on the first building, Irvin Hall, began in 1858. Highland was among the first communities in the territory of Kansas, and Highland University was the first college in Kansas. Established by missionaries from the Presbyterian Church, Highland University evolved over time, losing its affiliation with the Presbyterian Church, having seven name changes, gaining local support, and becoming a regional rural community college. Highland Community College, 602 W. Main Street, Highland, Kansas 66035; telephone: 785-442-6000.
• Native American Heritage Museum State Historic Site
Located two miles east of Highland, this museum features Native American culture, history, folk art and displays about the woodland tribes who were moved from the Great Lakes area to northeast Kansas. It includes a hands-on center for children and adults and offers workshops, tours and a museum store. 1737 Elgin Road, Highland, Kansas 66035; telephone: 785-442-3304; website: www.kshs.org/places/nativeamerican/index.htm
• White Cloud
White Cloud is on the Missouri River at the junction of three states - Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska. The Four-State Lookout (some say the state of Iowa is visible on a clear day) offers a panoramic view of the Missouri River Valley. The Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) placed a Lewis and Clark Commemorative Marker on the Missouri River bank at the foot of Main Street. Located at the top of Main Street, the Ma Hush Kah Museum was built in 1872. The White Cloud School provided education to young people and served as a cultural and activity center for 100 years. The school closed in 1960 and is now the home of the Ma Hush Kah Historical Society Museum.
For more information about Doniphan, please visit:
Doniphan County Economic Development Corporation, www.dpcountyks.com,